Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Robin Thicke Hates These Blurred Lines

So I'm pretty sure all of you have heard of Robin Thicke's song Blurred Lines. It's one of the biggest songs of the summer and it's being played all the time. I like the song! It's catchy and fun loving. However, it's been all over the news for other, non positive things as well. 

Thicke has been accused of rapey song lyrics, stealing the back beat from the late Marvin Gaye, and for the song's provocative video.

So let's do a lyric breakdown shall we? 

"If you can't hear what I'm trying to say / If you can't read from the same page / Maybe I'm going deaf / Maybe I'm going blind / Maybe I'm out of my mind"


He's basically saying he's being as direct as he possibly can with this girl and since she can't understand it, he feels like he's going crazy. I'll clear it up for you girl, HE WANTS YOUR BODY!!!!

Throughout the hook, Thicke constantly says 

I hate these blurred lines / I know you want it / I know you want it / I know you want it

Robin hates when girls act like they don’t want him even when he knows for sure that they do. Which is pretty cocky and chauvinistic if you ask me.

His reference to “blurred lines” takes in many different meanings. It can refer to girls being interested in rough, dirty sex but having to maintain the good girl image. Hence, the lines between the good girl and the bad girl.

“Blurred lines” can also refer to the moral ambiguity of flirting with a girl Thicke knows isn’t single. Even if she’s in a committed relationship she’s a “wild animal” with independent thoughts, and thus her boyfriend doesn’t own her.

Many critics have complained that the song is degrading to women and I agree. It's not what he says directly, it's what he implies. Just because a woman acts like she wants you doesn't mean you have the right to take her. Say it with me Robin, CONSENSUAL SEX IS THE BEST SEX! 

No comments:

Post a Comment